Sunday, June 29, 2008

IN PRAISE OF THE ELECTRONIC AGE

I talked to a guy the other day who told me has no computer, because he thinks they "suck the soul right outta people's bodies" (or words to that effect). I told him he should consider moving into the Smithsonian, because he had to be the only living human being without a computer.

It got me to thinking, though, about the array of electronics that my husband and I own, even though I suspect we're pretty much "average" among American households in this respect. We have televisions, telephones, cell phones, IPODS, computers, printers, and a fax machine. We have DVD players, CD players, and one dinosaur of a boom box that I still actually play cassette tapes on when I'm washing dishes. We even have a doohickey that "burns" the music from vinyl "records" (remember those?) onto CD's.

Would you believe that we two people use every single one of the above-mentioned items on a regular basis? Is it any wonder that my poor brain is barely functioning, due to EAAO (Electronic Appliance/Accessory Overload)? I'm surprised I have time to go to the bathroom these days, much less make any kind of noticeable contribution to society. And yet, I still seem to find time to read, watch TV, talk to my friends and family by phone on a regular basis, and generally enjoy life. Amazing.

What's really amazing is that with the exception of telephones and televisions, my grandparents could never have even imagined what to do with any of the electronics listed above. Not even my parents, who both passed away in the 90's, would know what to do with most of those things.

What an age we live in. And yet I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We would all be pretty stinkin' lost without all of our gadgets. I think most people just wouldn't know how to function.

Kathy said...

Yeah, Adde, it's sad but true. I honestly can't remember how we survived without computers. But somehow we did it.